One of my guy friends (and one of my favourite people to sit in a corner and judge others with) has basically insisted that I write a post on basic male grooming. Together we shake our heads at bad haircuts, sweatpants in public, and brown shoes with black pants. So because I’m tired of his whining, I’ve compiled some basic steps every man should be taking to smell good and look pretty.
- One shower a day is mandatory.
- So are 2 x teeth brushings.
- Use anti perspirant – don’t spray your clothes, it needs to go in your armpits. Anti perspirant reduces sweating, deodorant masks odours.
- If you think you’re more sweaty than average, you probably are. Ask for a clinical strength anti perspirant at the pharmacy, or find Shield Clinical Protection on the shelf.
- Once you’ve done that you can give yourself a spritz of deodorant spray or cologne, everybody appreciates a great-smelling man.
- If your shoes have a bit of an odour when you take them off, you probably need to do something about that. Go back to the pharmacy and get some foot powder to chuck into your shoes and onto your feet in the mornings. Also give your shoes a break for 24 hours between wears so they can dry properly.
- Keep your nails and toenails clean and short.
Face & Beard Care
- You don’t need anything fancy, but do wash your face when you’re in the shower. Pollution and dust clogs up your pores and will eventually make you look old and tired. Use face wash for this, not soap.
- Use SPF30 – SPF50 every morning – you’ll thank me once you turn 35ish. Daily SPF protects your skin from prematurely getting wrinkles and brown spots. If you’re worried about looking shiny, don’t fret. Venture into your nearest Dis-Chem and ask the lovely ladies there, they’ll find you an oil-free version.
- Use moisturiser at night too. You’ll thank me when you start approaching 40ish.
- If you have a beard, you need to wash it once a day since it’s a gunk magnet. Face wash works for a short beard, shampoo is better for a full beard.
- Treat your beard with hair conditioner and/or a leave-in oil to keep it shiny and soft-ish. You can try one of the myriad of beard oils on the market, otherwise straight up jojoba or argan oil works perfectly well on their own too.
- Have it trimmed and shaped at a barber once every 4-6 weeks so it keeps its shape.
- Whether you do any body hair grooming and/or manscaping is totally up to you. Options are good old fashioned shaving, electric trimmers, waxing and laser. Most men I know prefer using electric body hair trimmers for hairy bits that they prefer to tame. Laser is the most permanent option – if you have hair that has bothered you long term, you can read a bit more about that here.
- It’s worth finding a barber/hair stylist that gets you and your hair, and together with that person finding a hairstyle that works for you and your lifestyle.
- Maintain your hairstyle by having a monthly trim.
- Ear and nose hairs are not attractive. Have them waxed (it’s much less painful than you’re imagining) or ask your barber to trim them.
- There’s nothing wrong with cleaning up your unibrow if you want that – again you can have this waxed in a flash, and the results last about a month.
- I’m super easy on men’s clothing as I’m a pretty casual girl myself, but do learn basic dress codes. If I had a gold coin for every time I had to explain to one of the boys what semi formal/smart casual/smart entailed…
- Make sure that your clothes fit properly. Your buttcrack shouldn’t show when you sit down, your stomach shouldn’t be out if you lift your arms, you should be able to move your arms and shoulders freely in a dress shirt, your pants should touch your shoes but it shouldn’t trail behind you. If you buy something that needs to be tailored, it’s best to sort it out immediately.
- Have decent underwear and socks, meaning you should definitely throw out anything that has holes or stains. It’s easy enough to grab a 5-pack of either at the till when you’re in Edgars.
Bedroom and Bathroom Hygiene
- Bed linen is washed/changed once a week.
- Towels are washed/changed twice a week.
- It’s SO worth having decent cotton bed linen – don’t worry too much about the thread count, go with what looks and feels good to you.
- Adhering to the above increases your chances of getting lucky by approximately 100%.
Do you have any grooming tips you wish you could give to one of the men in your life? Drop them below so I can add them here!